Max Sterling Gencon exclusive

Here is a step by step of what I did to paint my Gencon Max Sterling for Robotech Tactics.  First I assembled using Loctite Ultra Control Gel.  I did not pin him because I could not find my pinning bits, but if an arm falls off, I will pin it then.  Using my airbrush, I primed him with Grey Primer from Valejo Model Air.


Then I went to work on the blue.  I base painted all of the blue parts with Kantor Blue. Then I started working the edges with Maccrage Blue. These veritechs are pretty nice in that they have lots of hard edges that catch the paint while their flat surfaces are small.  Look at his upper arm and the upper parts of his chest you can see where I got some nice edging.


Then I started with Calgar blue to push the edging even further.



For the white I did the same thing only with Codex Grey.


Then I did a second layer, with Fortress grey. The new GW equivalents work just as well.

 I went back and forth with Codex and Fortress several times. I played with the look on his shoulders for example to create a well worn, dirty look. At this point I also gave the blue a dose of Guilliman Blue glaze then reapplied the Calgar blue highlight in some spots.


Then I used Ulthuan Grey to make the white edges edges pop, followed by White Scar.


For the base I used some Secret Weapon basing bits and your standard flock. I have a mixed aggrate with heavy and fine particles which are grey and tan. I painted the column parts Rhinox Hide first, then a couple lighter shades of brown and alternating with washes of Seraphim Sepia, then I gave it a final drybrush of Ushabti bone.  

Did the gun in my standard colors, I started with a wash of Asurmen blue, then layered codex and fortress grey, alternating with more washes of blue. Then I layered Ulthuan, with more blue, then back and forth depending on where it needed more.




And the finished result!  I can't wait for the rest of my models to come from the Palladium Kickstarter!  Thanks to Jason Turner for picking this up for me at Gencon and sending it out.  I also have one coming from another friend which I am going to repose and paint as Miria. (red)  

More to come!  Jawaballs

4 comments:

John Stiening said...

Looking good. I am looking forward to seeing how the game plays. I bought into the kickstarted at an unreasonable level as well!

Jawaballs said...

Hi John, I wish I had more models right now, painting this got me more excited to paint than I have been in years. I couldn't figure out what is shipping in "wave one". I know they listed it, but I dont know what that list means. Were the Rick and Roy models part of that?

IDICBeer 40k said...

Looks great, nice little tutorial

Kaughnor said...

You got me fired for my kickstarter set yet to arrive. The model looks great.

Post a Comment