Ugh.. Allies are back...

Well we had a brief respite from Codex Cherry Picking when GW removed allies from the game.  The only thing it did was allow an already strong army to fill out units from other books to make up for their weaknesses, IG for example.  It was annoying and abused.

Now, based on what I have read, allies are back.

Oh well. If you can't beat em, join em!

So from what I understand, we will be able to use a second FOC to take allies. So a minimum of 1 HQ and 2 troops.  What a fantastic way to fill out a point starved codex like Blood Angels!  What would I take?  Well this is the dawn of the psyker.  GW is selling a whole set of cards full of psychic powers. Who are the true masters of the psychic?  The Eldar of course!  Who has cheap and relatively effective troops?  The Eldar!  Eldar pathfinders are simply impossible to kill without taking the chainsword to them.

So I take my Librarian and two assault squads, a Farseer on a jetbike decked out with the Eldar cheat runes, and bring my troops up to four by taking two pathfinder squads.  Awesome!  Especially if the rumors for sniper rifles are true. (Shooter picks out targets.)

But this is not just a WAAC paradise friends. This is a chance to create some truly unique armies with sweet themes.  I guess we will see what pans out in a few days!

Make sure you tune in to see what Fritz and I cook up on June 30th.

Jawaballs

14 comments:

Feuermann said...

we will be able to take allies from our own dex? (getting extra slots or not)

Donz0 said...

I dont believe allies are back... BOLS and other sites earlier posted allies were in, which included the allies chart they showed. That turned out not to be accurate, as the allies chart was from an old GT and was for team games. I doubt allies are in. What I would like to see however is perhaps a mercenaries section in the main rulebook for the imperium/xenos.

Jawaballs said...

Sadly I don't have any more info than what you find on BOLS. As I understand it, if we want allies, we take an HQ and two troops from that codex, and that may open up further units based on the level of alliance tolerance. Some other nice combos would be Rune Priests taken with Blood Angels. Or hell, Melta Vets! Gime those melta vets in Chimeras! Time to unleash the fury of IG chimera spam!

Jawaballs said...

Don I hope so. And I like your suggestion. The best way to handle allies would be to have a separate section from the rule book that gives you a pool of units you can take from the various books. Allies should be a tool to add spice to your army, not fill in all of your armies weaknesses.

Feuermann said...

Or grey knights with blood angels =>pure cheat

Jawaballs said...

Oh yah, take one of those HQ terminator librarians with the cheat grenades and attach him to a Blood Angels terminator squad. Drool!

KevonTheBeardless said...

Well if you wanted to be ridiculous...GK grandmaster all tooled up, with a priest and chaplain and te assault unit of your choice all mounted in a storm raven, and toss a DC dread on there just for fun...

Dunn911 said...

I see this in the future.......

Local RTT. 2000 points. No Allies. No terrain FOC.

Carry on.

Skarboy said...

For a weaker codex, this could be a godsend to patch a few holes, but it could make the beardy even beardier. If not, expect to see tournaments ban this since, well, GW doesn't support tournaments anyway.

For the record, my DE look forward to Coteaz/Acolytes, Warboss/Nob Bikers, Rune Priest/Grey Hunters, IG/Infantry Platoon, etc., lol.

Feldmarshal Goehring said...

Please say it ain't so. It will rub against my fur. I am a staunch loyalist. I played IG for 12 years before I tried something else (something else turned out to be BA in the White Dwarf Codex). I loved the BA (or should I say Angels Sanguine) so much that I haven't looked back. My loyalty now lies with the BA.

John Stiening said...

I'm with you guys. No allies or terrain FOC for tournaments sounds like a pretty reasonable expectation for the future. Now if GW makes FW 40k stamped models legal, that would be another twist to untwist at the tournament level.

Kriswithak said...

This shouldn't allow imperials to ally with other races, it should be implemented to let everyone else ally against them. You can't get much more xenophobic than the imperium.
It would be cool to do a sisters and gk or ba and gk army though.

Sadly most xenos troops are the worst part of the codex though so you don't gain much without a huge investment, gl with those pathfinders only getting a 3+ cover save with the new cover rules.

Will probably once again makes the strong stronger

Matt Blowers said...

Saw picture from White Dwarf with IG Cadian Army with GK attachment. So...rumor confirmed I guess. I don't like the idea of SM linked with Tau: termies with railgun support?!

Melon Head said...

Kiss all balance good bye. Now I love Apocolypse, which this sounds alot like those rules. However Apocolypse is horribly unbalanced, yet fun. And the rumors seem to point at the parent codex being one hq and two troops. The allied codex being one hq and one troop as compulsory. But I guess we will find out soon enough.

Post a Comment