Posted by Jawaballs at 8:00 AM
It's time to get this banner moving! Lots of progress today.
Previously I finished up the skull, mostly. I liked the line heavy drawing they sent me as an example and wanted to work that effect into my shaded skull. But I am not convinced that the two merged well. It was all shaded and skull looking, then I added in lines, and more lines and ended up with what I have here.
I need to look at it again after I have added in the rest of the design elements to reassess. I might end up repainting the entire skull. :(
On with the scrolls! I did not want to start painting straight onto my scrolls like I did with Helbrecht, and have to paint the scroll 5 times. So I traced my scroll on a piece of paper so that I could practice drawing out the letters by hand.
Here is attempt one. Fail.
Attempt two, better, but still a fail. Look at the hogs... it is straight and fails to use the space well.
Third times the charm?
Yup, after practicing it three times I managed to nail the letters on the scroll to the perfect size. I then painted them with black.
The bottom I did the same, but got it right on the first try with the paper.
One area that I need to fix is the little tears in the scrolls. The one above the H interacts with the H and makes it look funny. A little bleached bone will fix it. (I used Liquetex Unbleached Titanium)
I went for more of a light hearted font on these scrolls. I made the letters bolder than usual, and almost comicy.
Now for the crux! After doing some more sketching on paper, I came up with this final look for the crux. I ended up putting it in this location to fill space. I decided NOT to do the wings. I did not think they were an appropriate match for the hogs skull and scythes.
Here it is almost finished! I will paint a gemstone in the center of the crux, and I will put the state of Arkansas below the lower scroll as they asked and a few details on the tabbards on the bottom.
If you want a banner painted for you, my email is at the top right of the blog!