The Goodness of Battlestar Galactica


I have spoken about it in the past. I have said nothing but good things. But without a doubt, this show is one of the best television programs ever to grace the air waves.  I own a lot of television DVDs. I watch a lot more on Netflix.  None of them compare. Most of them I watch the disc once, and forget about it. Or sell it for a couple of bucks. Not BSG.  I cant think of a show with more watchability. I have watched this series, 3 or 4 times, and every time I get sucked into the gripping drama, well executed action and impeccable character development. Not just a couple episodes, the entire series, from start to finish. In honor of something great, I have decided to do a Jawa-review of the series.  Starting with the pilot mini series. 

Most recently I have been watching the episodes again and have gotten to episode 2 of season 3 just now. (I watch on Netflix as I paint.)  Fantastic. If you have never watched the show. Do so. If you never cared because of the gender change of some of the main characters from a subpar, cheesy and underproduced television failure left you closed minded, open your minds. If you could not find the time. Make it. 

The show is just that good. This should be a weekly to bi-monthly series of posts lasting as long as I have something to say.

Next time? Battlestar Galactica: The Mini Series

Jawaballs

15 comments:

Balian said...

Im sorry Chris but Stargate(anyone of them) beats them outta the water with 6's on a 6+ invul save...

John Stiening said...

BSG is seriously great programming.

Jawaballs said...

I watched every single episode of Stargate, SG1, Atlantis and Universe, and I disagree. All of SG was great. There is no question. But, Visually BSG beats all of SG. SG holds the edge in topical humor, BSG holds the edge in real life connection. I have watched them all. Frankly, you can turn on any episode of SG1 and insert "character of the week" into "fitful peril", to be saved by any character not in fitful peril, and have the plot of any given episode. Good TV? Yes. Gripping, groundbreaking and unique television? Nah. BSG told a different and unique story with every episode. Not easy to do.

But frankly, I am not here to compare BSG to any other TV shows. Or to debate my opinions with any one else about the goodness of Richard Dean Anderson vs James Edward Olmos.

Jawaballs said...

I mean, just compare soundtracks! Bear McCreary narrated the series with incredible and powerfully distinct themes. SG used a simplified but sped up variant of the theme from the movie that spawned it. None of the themes from SG are memorable in the least, while Violence and Variations, Battlestar Sonatica and Precipice can be considered some of the best TV music in any genre, any time, ever.

Mojjo said...

I love both shows and have to say I agree with you Jawaballs!

Warionex said...

As you, I love the Stargate franchise but in comparison with BSG their shows were shallow. It will be a long time until we get something as epic and special as BSG (hoping the complete opposite ((of course)). Thanks for the post Jawaballs! So say We All!

SmackyCat said...

I loved BSG we have it at my workplace so i rent it out quite often, but the next series/Prequel Caprica imo wasnt even close to being as good

Aerospike said...

I have to agree with Jawaballs as well. I was seriously addicted to SG1 (have only seen the first 2 seasons of Atlantis and nothing of universe yet), but it really doesn't stand up to BSG. And this I say as somebody who didn't really like BSGs religious "touch".

Personally I think the only Sci-Fi/Space series that is on par with BSG with regard to epic story arcs and great character development was the great Babylon 5.

Jawaballs said...

Yes, Caprica was a big piece of poop. Thats why Sci-fi pulled the series without even airing the rest of the episodes they shot. They will probably air them sooner or later, but it was truly terrible. It was funny watching their promos for the second season, and thinking to myself, "god it is just aweful and they have to know it!"

I do however have high hopes for their other prequel series following Adama in the first Cylon war.

Unknown said...

Jawa, I think it's Edward James Olmos, not James Edward Olmos, but either way it's an amazing series and I too recently started watching them again. I think a lot of it's appeal comes from it's gritty, realistic (I know it's a TV show) way of telling the stories. I watch a lot of TV, and BSG was definitly one of the best, can't wait to hear your thoughts.

Jawaballs said...

Yah it is, I was a few scotches in. :)

ServvsUmbrarum said...

Sounds like I need to start watching...needed a new 'painting' show to watch. As sad as it is I'm watching Hercules the Legendary Journey right now...yes the old one with Kevin Serbo.

Anonymous said...

I too loved BSG, but the 4th season I have to disagree with you on. It felt like the writers were losing their minds. I watched it as it came out week to week and in between I just kept thinking it was more and more out of control. It had a few good moments, but overall I thought season 4 was a huge let down.

Jawaballs said...

I don't disagree with you Robby. But it will be some time before I get to season 4!

Kai said...

Just wanted to second: there's nothing like BSG out there (or has been). It's such a pity that it's over.

So say we all.

Post a Comment