Space Hulk Terminator Commission DONE!















Finally!  I finished my first Blood Angels, Space Hulk Terminator commission. Well I never claimed to be fast. I want to thank John for his patience on this commission.  Each of these models took me well over 6 hours to paint.  The crappy photography does not do much for the layering and detailing, but it's there!  I started with Army Painter Black Primer, then used Army Painter Dragon Red.  Then I layered up from DR to Blood Red at the edges. Then I used blazing orange highlights, then a light wash with Baal red, then a 50/50 blazing orange and vomit brown.   I filled in the lines with a mix of Black and Blood Red, and some of the details black.  Then I used the standard parchment, bone, wing techniques.  

Before I send them out, I will give each a finish with Valejo Satin Varnish. This will add a final sheen to the armor. I wanted to photograph them before because my lighting sucks and I use flash, and flash with the Valejo Sheen makes them look glossy.  

No, I didn't follow the Space Hulk illustrations and give them the squad markings etc.  And yes, I have seen Space Hulk models painted better.  I admit I am not the best. But I must say that I am not bad! What these models represent is my love for painting and the passion I put into my work.  I charge a lot, but I believe that what I give my customers is more than worth the price.  

Feel free to blast away! But please keep it constructive, and if you have a criticism, offer a way to improve it! :)  But at this point these models are finished and in the mail.  Hope you like them John!  

Jawaballs












17 comments:

Michael Hogan said...

I really like the way these guys came out. If I were to do one thing differently, however, it would be to ever so slightly change the colors on the Heavy Flamer and Assault Cannon. Give them something to look a bit unique, like the Lightning Claws do. Make it the main feature on the model, perhaps adding black and yellow stripes or just more colors in general, but that is just my personal opinion.

chaplainaerion said...

Not sure who you're worrying about blasting you, but those are excellent commissions. The owner will be hard pressed to find anything to complain about. Well done!

Ysambart said...

They look great! I have a suggestion to make them look better: - I purchased a little 'light tent' from ebay. The sell is out of China - they are great, and would help show your detail work to full effect, and eliminate shadow etc. I use my daylight bulb lamps as the studio lights, and the tent diffuses light. Just searched, oz ebay has them listed under "40cm Photo Studio Cube Light Tent Soft Box Photography"

My one is shared by a few people, and I often take it to tournaments for people to use to get good photos of their miniatures.

Anonymous said...

Looks great! Now post some tactica! ^_^

John Hohman said...

Chris, Absolutely gorgeous thank you. you're client John or in some circles i'm known as Brother Azrael. I got some more work if you like, 2 Dreads let me know Cheers!
" All Hail the Winged One"

Jawaballs said...

Good idea on the light tent. I have a sweet camera too but without good lighting I ended up just using my pocket power shot and photoshoping the pics into submission. I will check it out. And glad you approve John! Absolutely on those dreads. I just have to finish up a Black Templar commission and a couple banners first. Email me the details and we will arrange it.

Ysambart said...

I have a decent camera with the light tent, it shows just how average my painting really is - the 'fuzz' of my iphone camera is actually kinder :) However, when we put well highlighted miniatures into the tent, they really 'pop'.

Unknown said...

Hope you haven't shipped it off just yet. Note the right arm (of the model) just under the skull :)

Jawaballs said...

Which model?

Unknown said...

Ah sorry, should have specified! The lightning claw guy. Bleached bone spot on the arm :P

Michael said...

Looking great Jawa. The blending is really good imo.

I'd be proud to own them!

DK said...

Love the armor. Just looking at them it seems like they are CGI. Great stuff. Only thing I would Change is the scrolls and parchment.

Michael Hogan said...

Jawa, not to be bothersome but I am notorious for not having emails send, but did you get my email on a light tent? Sorry.

Mike said...

Do you have any more Space Hulk Terminators left? I would be very interested in buying some.

Jawaballs said...

Im not selling just the termies. I am selling them painted as commissions.

Mike said...

Ohh......For how much? Because they look fabulous!

Jawaballs said...

Email me. jawaballs at hotmail

Post a Comment