Valentines Day Massacre is a go!



Hey folks!  I don't know if this pint glass is part of the swag for The Valentines Day Massacre next weekend in Media, PA, but that is about all the incentive I need. I'm in. :)

Mike from Showcase Comics in Media, PA is running the show supported The BigGunz-NE who are a very active and enthusiastic club in the PA area.  But what is The Valentines Day Massacre?  Well it's a GT for gods sake!  5 games, 1850 points.  I just contacted Mike and found out that he still has about 9 spots open for the event. I snatched up one of them.  Take a look at the info site HERE. One notable rule is that "counts as" armies are not allowed. Looks like we won't be seeing any Imperial Fist Blood Angels or Black Legion Space Wolves!  Be sure you read all the posted rules before deciding to attend the event. No one likes a whiner, especially one who whines about pre-announced rules he agreed to follow by buying the ticket. I can say that Mike is a stand up guy who is eager to help any one who needs it. I spoke to him during Hard Boys about the business of owning a gaming store and he was more than happy to share any thing he knew.  My dealings with the BigGunz have always been positive and respectful.  The combination of a good TO, friendly support, and a nice location makes for what will turn out to be a fun event.

Here are some more pics that Mike sent me.





So if you are free next weekend, and want to get some great gaming in, give Mike a call and tell him I sent you!  Here is his contact info:  Tournament Organizer:  Mike Clark, (Email: Mikenjudyc@aol.com , Phone: 610-891-9229)

Jawaballs



12 comments:

Tim said...

I’m sure this event will have a good showing, as I know lots of locals guy ‘round here are going. I was considering it but the rule about counts-as armies rubbed me the wrong way. Plus I don’t know anybody with a couch to crash on so was the deciding factor.

Jawaballs said...

Hey Shatter! Thanks for the Stews by the way. That stuff did not last long. :) As for the counts as thing, I respect Mike for taking a stand. Wrong or not, at least he addressed the issue. It might exclude guys from playing armies they worked hard on and love, but it also gets rid of the annoying codex jumping power gamers that are too lazy to build a new army. Morals, semantics and potatoes aside, we all know what I mean. It is my opinion that there are many more of the latter, so may be a good trade.

If any one has concerns about their army, email Mike. I sent him pictures of my new emo gothic vamp blood angels which are converted from Fantasy Chaos Warriors and they are fine.

Tim said...

True, there probably are more annoying codex jumping power gamers out there than dedicated painters and modellers. Last year this event got loads of good press in the DC area. Glad to see it returning. I hear you're running a new kind of list, care to share?

Kevinmcd28 said...

Ugh I am home that weekend and it is only like a half hour away, i might just bring my chaos for sh*ts and giggles

Jawaballs said...

Kevin Get hold of mike now, the last few spots are gonna sell out. And shatter, I brought 3 land raiders and a raven with meph and a dread to Templecon. This is sorta like that. :)

DarkCorsair said...

I was under the impression that the event was sold out, unless DakkaDakka is lying to me. I do know he said that the event is filled up, and they are currently starting a waiting list.

Jawaballs said...

Ahh my news is old! I spoke to him a few days ago. Just getting around to putting up this post. I think the last I knew was that there were lots of guys who said they were in, but had not paid and people could nab those spots. Money Talks! It doesn't hurt to email Mike though. :)

breng77 said...

It sounds like counts as is Ok as long as it is loving conversions and paint, as it is with the approval of the TO. I think it is basically to stop people from just taking one army and playing using a separate codex.

S-Low said...

Hey I just wanted to jump in and back Mike for a quick second. He is a gamer himself and a very reasonable guy. I'm sure he would be more than willing to let people with unique armies play, so long as they
a) show love and hard work
b) are the right size/not converted for advantage
c) are easy for your opponenet to know what is what

I don't want to put words in his mouth but Mike is clever enough to see who worked hard to build a cool army and who just wants to run ultramarines as wolves. The first type will be the one playing at the tourny!

Mike Brandt; mvbrandt@gmail said...

I think the restriction is more like "Oh look Ultramarines in blue with white logos! What, they're Space Wolves? Huh?"

If you have a DIY chapter, it's going to be much easier I suspect for him to not mind you playing it as whatever, presuming WYSIWYG/etc.

HuronBH said...

I think it is cool that Mike took a stand and set out some kind of limit to what you can do with counts as. I played at St. Vals last year and was planning to again this year but darn it, it conflicts with a Demo day I'm helping to run at my local store. Have fun everyone.

Mike Brandt; mvbrandt@gmail said...

If you want to ride up w/ me on Sunday or Sat evening to socialize a little, you're more than welcome to, Jay.

Post a Comment