Posted by Jawaballs at 10:39 AM
Hey folks! Ok, I am working my way through a backlog reader submissions and other businesss. Here is another batrep! Enjoy.
I’m afraid I bring grave news, a patrol of the glorious Blood Angels were defeated by the perfidious Imperial Guard. The survivors are even now doing penance to clean their souls.
The setting: 500 point battle, minimum 1 HQ, 2 Troops, annihilation
The Blood Angels (9 year old general playing his GW Academy passing out game)
- Brother Corbulo
- 5 Man Assault Squad with Power Fist & Rhino with extra amour
- 10 Man Tactical Squad with LasCannon
- 2 Death Company with jump packs
The Perfidious Guard (GW store manager)
- 1 Command Squad with a Primors Psycher (never even found out what he can do)
- 1 Veteran Squad with Vox & meltagun in a Chimera with multi laser
- 1 squad with Vox & flamer in a Vendetta (3 twin linked lascannons)
- 1 squad with Vox and flamer
(How is that balanced? 1.5 squads of BA with a Rhino vs. 4 squads of IG with a multi-laser Chimera and a Vendetta with 3 twin lascannons!!!! Who is the muppet that makes up these points costs?)
Blood Angels win the dice and go first. BA’s set up with Tac squad in a building to the left, Rhino with Corbs and RAS behind a building on the right, DC tucked in behind the Rhino.
IG set up with a squad in a building to the left, with the Chimera behind it, Cmnd in a building on the right with the Vendetta on the ground behind it.
- Rhino fails its overcharge and stalls. Lascannon shoots at the command squad and misses (a regular event….)
o Vendetta storms forward and fires on the Rhino (3 twin linked lascannon) – 1 dead Rhino, all BA’s bail out
o Chimera storms forward and fires on the assault squad killing one BA (killed 2 but Corbs brings one back)
o All other shooting misses
- Corbs and the assault squad moved into cover, lascannon missed again
o Vendetta moved forward and gravchute deployed its squad on top of the Tac squad
o Its squad fires on the Tac squad and kills one
o Chimera moved forward and deployed its veteran squad beside Corbs
o Chimera then fired on corbs and killed 1 assault trooper
o The squad fires as well and kills one more
Things are looking even worse
- Tac squad fires on the Vendetta, missing with everything (it was gently explained to the 9 year old that maybe the IG squad standing next to them would have been a better target)
- Corbs and his squad fired on the Veteran squad, killing two and then assaulted them killing 3. IG guard kill the sergeant in reply but break, are caught and killed.
- Death Company try to assault the Rhino but fail
o Vendetta fires on Corbs and kills the last of the Assault Squad
o Loads of firing, all misses or saves except for two Tac squad which are killed by a flamer
- Death Company chew on the Chimera and fail to do damage,
- Lascannon misses Vendetta (again)
- Corbulo lobs a Krak grenade at the Vendetta and actually damages it (no shooting for one turn)
- Tac company assault the guard squad next to them killing 4 for no loss, IG run, are caught and die
o Vendetta runs away and hides behind a building
o Chimera fire on DC killing one
o IG squad fire on the DC killing the second one (fire by ranks is just mad!)
- Corbs runs into the building with the Tactical squad
- Lascannon misses again
o Chimera, the Vendetta and a sniper fire at Corbs but he survives
Game carries on two further turns with no losses on either side
As far as I can see the BA couldn’t have done a whole lot more – apart from the bad luck (Lascannon continually missing and the Rhino stalling on turn one) he only made one bad decision when the Tac squad fired on the Vendetta rather than the IG squad gravchuted in next to them.
I can’t see how BA are competitive at 500 points with a legal formation. The IG Command squad and 2nd squad did pretty much nothing for the whole game, and with the remainder the BA force was wiped out. Whereas last week my other son played a 500 point game with Tyranids and almost won (would have won but for poor rolling with a Tervigon). Maybe the new codex will make a difference but I can’t honestly see how 500 points gives you enough to beat IG? In particular the Vendetta was just mad, jumping around all over the battlefield and unleashing 3 twin linked lascannons on everything! In discussion afterwards the general consensus is that the only marine 500 point which is competitive is a librarian with loads of scouts – but of course we can’t do that as scouts are elite, sigh.
One picture attached of turn 2.
Main thing though, my son enjoyed it and just enough silly things happened (Lascannon missing every shot, Corbs damaging the Vendetta with a Krak grenade) that he kept laughing the whole way through and now wants to destroy the guard with a decent amount of points.
Keep em coming!
Labels: Battle Report